English

 

"A Schiewesch"

A day in the museum

In the village centre of Binsfeld you find the 300 years old farmer’s house “A Schiewesch”, which, along with its neighbouring buildings, has been renovated according to traditional rural methods. Today, it homes the most important and complete museum of this kind in the wider region. Across 13 rooms in both houses you can admire more than 1100 exhibits. The wide selection of rural household pieces, which were used in the last 300 years, gives the visitor an insight into ancient rural life. The cultural development of the Ardennes region from the 16th century onwards is rendered in various rooms, ranging from kitchen to living room, bedroom, shoemaker’s and weaver’s workshops.

The curved ceiling of the cellar exemplifies the construction skills of past generations.

In addition, there’s an exhibition of larger machines in the neighbouring stables, like for example installations of a village dairy and of a carpenter’s workshop.

The large barn contains a multitude of old agricultural machines, starting with an ancient wooden plough and through to a reaper-binder and a threshing machine from the 1960s.

A total of 1200 exhibits, all skilfully renovated, are shown in an informative guided tour through the rooms. The visitor gains a deep insight into the culture and way of life of the rural population.

The museum is open every day from Easter to the beginning of November, from 14.00 to 18.00. It’s closed on Mondays (except on public holidays). Groups can also reserve a tour at other times than the normal opening hours. Phone number: (00352) 979820 – Fax: (00352) 979819 or Email: museebinsfeld@pt.lu

A challenging animation programme offers groups of young people or school classes an enjoyable stay of up to a week.

 

is mainly furnished according to the village culture after 1725

 

L

site plan from 1820

 

 

"A Schiewesch"

The first part (barn with rebuilt sheep stable) was built during the 15th century. The original building was used as a sheep enclosure – called “Schiefricht” in the local Luxembourgish dialect. Because this original building was partly built into the hill, the overlapping threshing floor could easily be filled with the crop.

The local people called the place “Op der Schiefricht”. Around 1600 it was owned by a man called “Clees” who came from “Hepperdang.”

"OP dër Schiefricht" um 1600

Around 1725 the “Schiefricht” fell to one of two brothers: Jean Toussaint. He added a gable to the existing building.

To feed his flock of sheep, he became the village shepherd. That way he could let his sheep graze free of charge. His title also gave the house a new name: “A Schiewesch” – “at the shepherd’s.”

This name has remained in use up to this day.

"A Schiewesch" um 1725

In 1910 two rooms were added to the gable front and the front door was moved to the new roadside. Smaller working quarters were added behind the main house and enlarged to their present size after the Ardennes Offensive.

"A Schiewesch" um 1910

Only a few villagers lived in houses that belonged to a lord. “A Schiewesch” is a rare example of how its inhabitants lived and worked, through the course of three centuries. At the same time, it displays an all-round picture of ancient rural culture.

The cultural heritage of 11 generations can be discovered and felt in these buildings. Every single room is a new experience of the lives of our ancestors.

We wish all our visitors a pleasant stay in our museum.